102 East Main Street
PO Box 457
Pilot Point, TX 76258

Contact Information

Court ClerkKathy Charles
Phone(940) 686-2165
Fax(940) 686-3070

Most Commonly Asked Questions

Q. What methods of payment are accepted for tickets and fines?

A. We accept Cash when paying in person at the office. We accept Personal Checks, Cashier's Checks and Money Orders.

Q. How do I plead no contest or not guilty? Or obtain a court date.

A. If you desire to enter a plea of no contest or guilty, and pay the fine on your citation, include your Personal Check, Cashier's Check or Money Order for the Fine Amount, and return it in person or by U. S. Mail, Federal Express or UPS with a letter stating your plea preference. This must be done on or before the appearance date on your citation. Contact the Municipal Court Clerk's Office at 940-686-2165 for the correct fine amount. Send your plea and payment to Municipal Court Clerk, 102 E. Main, Pilot Point, Texas 76258.

If the plea and fine amount are not received on or before the appearance date, you must add an additional $50.00 fee to your Fine Amount as a late payment fee. If your citation has gone into a warrant, there may be additional fees.

If you wish to enter a plea of not guilty, you must request a court date to speak with the Judge. At that time the Judge will explain trial option and assign your trial date. You may send a written request including your mailing address. You will be notified by the Court of your Court date.

All requests for a court date must be made in writing on or before the due date on your citation.

Q. Can I make payment arrangements?

A. Payment arrangements MUST BE MADE AT THE COURT WINDOW. The clerk will explain your arrangements at that time. Please call in advance to request your first payment amount so that you are prepared when you arrive.

Q. Can I take a driver safety course?

A. If you have a commercial driver's license, you cannot take a driver safety course for dismissal of your citation. If you have been charged with a moving traffic violation and were not charged with Speeding 25 or more miles over the posted speed limit, you may be able to request to take a Driver Safety Course for dismissal of your citation.

However, you will lose that right if you do not appear in person, or provide written notice to the Court on or before your appearance date (the date in the lower section of your citation) of your desire to do so. If your appearance date passes without any appearance by you, whether in person or in writing, the fine amount on your citation will be increased by $50.00.

If you were charged with any of the following offenses, you DO NOT qualify for dismissal of your citation by way of a Driver Safety Course.

Sec. 545.066 Passing a school bus Sec. 545.421 Fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer Sec. 550.022 Accident involving damage to vehicle Sec. 550.023 Duty to give information and render aid To qualify for a Driver Safety Course, you must present to the Court an oral request at the window to take the Driver Safety Course; or send by mail, on or before the appearance date on the lower left corner of the citation, a written request to take the Driver Safety Course.

You will need to pay at the time of your request by Personal Check, Cashier's Check or Money Order. We accept cash if paying in person. DO NOT TAKE THE DRIVER SAFETY COURSE UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.

When making your request in person or in writing, you will need to:

  1. Enter a plea of either no contest or guilty; waive your right to a jury trial.
  2. You must provide a copy of your Driver's License. You must have a valid Texas Driver's License. (Commercial License does not qualify).
  3. You must provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance), and it must list you as a driver and be in effect at the time you make your request.
  4. Pay the required state costs.

Q. What is deferred deposition?

A. Deferred Disposition Policy Requirements for Deferred Disposition in Municipal Court: Commercial Drivers License holders do not qualify for Deferred Disposition.

A defendant is allowed to be on Deferred Disposition once a year in this Court. The Defendant must enter a plea of no contest or guilty and make a written request to the Court for Deferred Disposition. The request for Deferred Disposition must be made by the due date on the citation. If the Request for Deferred Disposition is made by mail, it must be in the court on or before the due date on the ticket. The amount of the fine and the Court costs must be paid at the time of your request. Contact the Court to find out deferred costs and fees amount. When a request is made to the Court in a timely manner and all requirements are met, the Defendant will be granted Deferred Disposition.